Aeva is building the next generation of sensing and perception for autonomous vehicles and beyond. With its unique ability to measure instantaneous velocity for each pixel, long-range performance at high resolutions, while being free from LiDAR or sunlight interference, Aeva’s 4D LiDAR is built from the ground up at silicon photonics scale for mass-market applications.
Aeva is seeking to hire a highly skilled and experienced Lidar performance characterization engineer to join our growing team! This individual will lead a team of engineers to comprehensively characterize lidar performance across the spectrum of use cases, environmental conditions, and potential aggressors. Responsibilities will also include identifying, characterizing, and root-causing Lidar impairments and artifacts as well as proposing solutions. The role also involves directly interfacing with customers regarding performance issues and collaboration with Aeva’s HW and SW engineering development teams to resolve performance issues.
What you'll be doing:
- Manage a team of characterization test and analysis engineers.
- Interface directly with customers to understand and respond to their product performance concerns.
- Work cross-functionally with Aeva’s HW and SW engineering development teams to propose and implement performance improvements and artifact removals.
- Lead the planning and execution of a comprehensive Lidar characterization effort.
- Actively participate in product design reviews.
- LIDAR CHARACTERIZATION:
- Validate that the Lidar can meet the capability requirements consistent with the customer’s intent.
- Proactively and comprehensively characterize (i.e. test, simulate, and analyses) Aeva Lidars: per point performance, performance vs. Use Cases, environmental interactions, susceptibility to aggressors, impairments, and artifacts.
- Characterize the performance of all Aeva data products - e.g. point cloud, time stamping and frame/trigger synch, intrinsic, extrinsic, and online calibration, ego-motion estimation, point cloud motion compensation, and perception products.
- Respond to the Customer’s performance concerns, including replicating, root causing, and developing solution roadmaps.
- Develop Aeva vs. competitor comparison analysis, highlighting the benefits and drawbacks of all systems.
What you have:
- MS or Ph.D. with 5+ years working experience in characterization testing, simulation, and analysis of Optical and/or RF sensor systems.
- Strong background and experience in the development, lab level testing, and the analysis of optical systems.
- Experience developing automated test SW, with proficiency in Matlab, Python, and C.
- Strong background in Optical and/or digital signal processing.
- Excellent written and verbal interpersonal skills.
- Leadership and team management skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects at the same time with proven success in meeting deadlines.
Nice to have:
- 1+ years managing a team in a similar space.
- Knowledge and experience with systems engineering.
- Knowledge of photonics elements and their integration including PICs - different material platforms, types of lasers, types of optical amplifiers, types of detectors, and free-space optics.
- Knowledge and experience with automotive standards.
- Knowledge and experience with reliability and qualification testing.
- Knowledge and experience with optical, silicon, electrical, and mechanical manufacturing processes and testing from wafer level to module level FATP.
What's in it for you:
- Be part of an early start-up that's backed by industry-leading venture capitalists
- Very competitive compensation and meaningful stock grants
- Exceptional benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and more
- Unlimited PTO: We care about results, not punching timecard
- Paid lunches, ping pong tournaments, and fun team off-sites