Aeva is building the next generation of sensing and perception for autonomous vehicles and beyond. With its unique ability to measure instantaneous velocity for each pixel, long-range performance at high resolutions, while being free from LiDAR or sunlight interference, Aeva’s 4D LiDAR is built from the ground up at silicon photonics scale for mass-market applications.
We are looking for an experienced Product Design Engineering Manager to lead and help build our system-level product design engineering team.
What you'll be doing:
- Lead the product design engineering team through architecture and detailed mechanical design of complex products with challenging optical, electrical, and environmental requirements.
- Manage and provide mentorship to engineers on your team, ensuring both individual growth and development as well as project success.
- Act as a cross functional leader, and clear roadblocks to ensure the larger team is successful.
- Take responsibility for all aspects of product development including design, supplier oversight, build and validation support, and reliability test plans/FA.
- Drive design reviews, evaluate technical design direction, and fill in with design work when needed.
- Work with EPMs to set project schedule and budget.
- Identify hiring needs and drive recruiting as needed.
What you have:
- 3+ years experience managing, leading, or developing individuals and groups, with proven ability to make others successful.
- 6+ years experience with detail design, development and validation of mechanical, optical, and electrical assemblies for mass manufacturing.
- Solid understanding of design for assembly and integration in complex mechanical, optical, and electrical systems.
- Expertise in manufacturing processes with metal and plastic materials, including machining, forging, die-casting, MIM, and injection/compression molding. Experience with bonding and welding techniques. Experience with coatings and cosmetic markings.
- Experience in design for manufacturing across the entire product lifecycle from concept through volume production including working with overseas contract manufactures.
- A passion for making great products, challenging yourself and others, and developing talented engineers.
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering
Nice to have:
- M.S. with focus in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, controls, or robotics.
- Experience building an engineering team from the ground up at a startup or “skunkworks” initiative at an established company.
- Experience designing in Solidworks
- Experience designing or integrating precision actuators and optics in assemblies like cameras, lidars, hard drives etc.
What's in it for you:
- Help grow a fast-paced and dynamic team
- Very competitive compensation and meaningful stock grants
- Exceptional benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, and more
- Unlimited PTO: We care about results, not punching timecards